Thursday, March 13, 2008

GW10: Liberal Wieners and Right-Wing Nutjobs - Lake Guntersville, AL




A return to our "home" state of Alabama...a wonder since Buzzkill turned out so well! :-) Seriously, this one was "supposed" to be the Vegas trip (as prophesied in the first GW), but alas, none of us really had the money for it, plus Christopher and Anu had just recently had the triplets. We kept it close so he could make it, and though he arrived late, he proceeded to clean our clocks at the poker table (note the appearance of Joe A's green felt tabletop with chip wells!).





Of course we all told ourselves that we were contributing to the girls' college funds, but really Christopher was just "on" that weekend. ("Christopher always/never bluffs.")



The accomodations were nice, but not too nice. Mismatched furniture, wood paneling, knicknacks everywhere--a fairly typical lakehouse, I guess.







There was a nice, wooded back area to the house leading down to the lake. The patio was well-shaded for an old-school Monopoly game; Amorak made good use of the hammock (also the site of a particularly one-sided political debate by a trio of Liberal Wieners); and I believe Mr. R caught a few small fish from the pier. We did a bit of swimming to cool off one afternoon.









Other activities included a trip into town to play basketball at a rec center (a fairly short game--our ages and fitness levels were showing), and we also made use of an actual little league field for homerun derby with our "toy" bats and balls.


The election year provided a bit of a theme as several GW Polls were conducted (and you know how painful THOSE can be!), Guys revealed their true political colors (I think the Wieners outnumbered the Nutjobs), and we enjoyed the JibJab "This Land" cartoon via dial-up.




5 comments:

Amorak said...

* We also played golf at the course on a nearby state park. Joe A, was this the year your wrist was bothering you and you had to quit golfing early?

* I won the Monopoly game, thanks in part to the ruthless application of lessons learned the hard way in Biloxi, Miss.

* Our lodging was kind at the ass end of Lake Guntersville, off this brackish, rocky inlet. Too bad, because that's a really nice lake, and we didn't get to enjoy it much.

Joe said...

* Wrist injury was a factor. Interestingly, I shot pretty well. The brace acted as a kind of "Greg Norman's Secret" and helped in some ways. I had to go back to a baseball grip after years of interlocking, and it was actually so successful that we're still together. I quit around the 15th after a muffed shot twinged the wrist. I was proud of myself for listening to my "Higher Power" and and ending my golf day early.

* I was somewhat unwell during basketball, gave back up some hot dogs during the break, and mounted an unsuccessful attempt to bounce back.

* A leech attached itself to my foot while I was swiming.

* CMB committed an arguable felony within seconds of his arrival.

Mark said...

* I think it was the last time Joe R played golf with us (thus far), and Christopher was "along for the ride", no? Or did we play before he joined us?

* The pictures of the poker playing area show our solution to the mirror-backed curio cabinet: a bed sheet drapery. To keep reflections from aiding any would-be, or accidental, cheaters.

* Getting there: I was picked up by Mr. R from my dad's house in the Gadsden area, and we were the first to arrive, followed shortly thereafter by Scott and Amorak. Joe and I paid the owner of the house (in cash, I believe).

Joe_R said...

Some initial memories from GW10: I'm sure more will come to mind later:

* Joe A had just recently purchased his new car and demonstrated the power of the "passing gear" on the straight away (over the bridge) headed back to the cabin after playing basketball and home-run derby.

* We ordered like 10 Domino's pizzas for dinner one night (okay, so maybe it was only 4 or 5) but it seemed like 10.

* Seems to me we 'cooked in' quite a bit on this trip (burgers and dogs) and helped ourselves to several frozen patties that were left in the freezer by a previous visitor. Come to think of it, did we even eat out on this trip?

* I specifically remember bringing BBQ for dinner the first night. Thinking back, how many GW's have included BBQ ...? I'll have to give that some more thought.

* Golfing was miserable due to the extreme heat and the fact that I really suck at it (yes, this was my final golf outing and the very last time I have played to date).

* Joe R caught fish ... the first day (some 15 to 20 little ones) .. and could not even muster a nibble the remainder of the trip.

* Christopher made enough bank at the poker table to provide diapers and formula for all three girls for at least the following year.

* The bottom (of the lake) was mushy and squishy.

Joe_R said...

And one more just came to mind:

* Scott 'snorting' nicotine all weekend, mostly while intoxicated!