* First GW that included golf as an activity. Played early morning after about a half hour of sleep--Amorak and Mark stayed up all night talking like a couple of tween girls; Joe played--and mastered-- Micro Machines all frickin' night.
* First mention of supermodels attending.
* We had downstairs neighbors at our beach cabin--don't recall seeing much of them.
* "It's hard to bluff someone who isn't paying attention." Greatest. Poker. Insult. EVAH.
* Joe abruptly going to his car to get a writing utensil to write an IOU, due to losses at Guts? Black Mariah? Arizona Pig? I remember thinking he was really pissed and walked out, only to find out later that he just went to find a pen. First poker "fight"?
* Beginning of two great, now mostly defunct, GW traditions: finishing your drink if you left the seat up; and shotgunning beers on the last night (we didn't do this in Atlanta, right?). Ah, Keystone Light....
* Grocery shopping on the way down in a store in, I think, Port St. Joe, and having our first arguments over white vs. wheat and who should pay for the cheese some of us don't like on our sandwiches, and generally being raucous and silly and thinking ourselves charming because some of the old women in the store smiled at us, and someone asked if we were college students, and we somehow took that as a compliment. The risk of that particular confusion is long gone from GWs of today.
* The woman downstairs is attractive. Dan is our only single attendee, so we offer to distract the man downstairs to give Dan some alone time -- and he says he would use it to play with the couple's dog.
* Playing poker on the picnic table on the screened-in porch until the heat got the better of us.
* The IOU was from Guts.
* Joe "cheats" at golf. Mark and Amorak are insanely self-righteous over this and declare themselves USGA rules-committee members. Joe, wearing spikeless tennis shoes, steps in Amorak's line on a "green." Amorak gets all touchy about this. Joe comments that he'd be a little more worried about it if it were Augusta National. It wasn't. And Amorak probably pulled the putt anyway. I can't speak for the rest of y'all, but, god, I was young and dumb.
* I drove Ellen's car all the way to Birmingham so I could caravan down with you guys, and so I could see Scott the night before we left. On my drive up, a tire bounded across the median on the highway in Montgomery and scared the hell out of me before sideswiping the car and leaving a horrible, un-removable black skid down the driver's side. That did not go over well when I arrived home.
* You guys had an insanely crowded ride home, I believe. A precursor to the ride to the Atlanta airport from Jekyll Island.
* Playing Ultimate on the beach. (Exhausting.)
* Playing basketball on a sandy, bumpy, gravely court. Wooden backboard?
* Lots of small, dead fish on the beach. Some kind of fish virus in the water or something.
* Speaking of HNV, when Dan was the net one time, he got carried away and instead of rejecting the ball back to Christopher and Mark, he did an over-the-head backward spike to the sand at the feet of a protesting Joe and Amorak. The ruling was the point stands for M&C -- whim of the net, or something like that.
* Our ride home was actually particularly uncrowded. We had actually taken three cars, so we were 2 and 2 going home. I believe part of the decision to take Joe's car was that we would likely not have room in my dad's loaner car (something fairly small like an Escort or somesuch) to get us all home, especially with two sets of golf clubs, 4 Guys, and other luggage.
Of course, taking Joe's car neccessitated an insanely long detour to have the oil changed. But it did make having the walkie-talkies more fun, since we had three separate sources of goofiness over the airwaves. Yes, we were young and playful, but I would like to think that now, 12 years older and "more mature", we would still be just as silly using those things.
4 comments:
GWII: Mark invents the GW subtitle
* The greatest Human Net Volleyball exhibition the world has ever known. Also Amorak makes the greatest play in the history of HNV.
* I have a near-religious experience with a cold shower. (But it's not nearly as creepy as that sounds.)
* First GW that included golf as an activity. Played early morning after about a half hour of sleep--Amorak and Mark stayed up all night talking like a couple of tween girls; Joe played--and mastered-- Micro Machines all frickin' night.
* First mention of supermodels attending.
* We had downstairs neighbors at our beach cabin--don't recall seeing much of them.
* "It's hard to bluff someone who isn't paying attention." Greatest. Poker. Insult. EVAH.
* Joe abruptly going to his car to get a writing utensil to write an IOU, due to losses at Guts? Black Mariah? Arizona Pig? I remember thinking he was really pissed and walked out, only to find out later that he just went to find a pen. First poker "fight"?
* Beginning of two great, now mostly defunct, GW traditions: finishing your drink if you left the seat up; and shotgunning beers on the last night (we didn't do this in Atlanta, right?). Ah, Keystone Light....
* Grocery shopping on the way down in a store in, I think, Port St. Joe, and having our first arguments over white vs. wheat and who should pay for the cheese some of us don't like on our sandwiches, and generally being raucous and silly and thinking ourselves charming because some of the old women in the store smiled at us, and someone asked if we were college students, and we somehow took that as a compliment. The risk of that particular confusion is long gone from GWs of today.
* The woman downstairs is attractive. Dan is our only single attendee, so we offer to distract the man downstairs to give Dan some alone time -- and he says he would use it to play with the couple's dog.
* Playing poker on the picnic table on the screened-in porch until the heat got the better of us.
* The IOU was from Guts.
* Joe "cheats" at golf. Mark and Amorak are insanely self-righteous over this and declare themselves USGA rules-committee members. Joe, wearing spikeless tennis shoes, steps in Amorak's line on a "green." Amorak gets all touchy about this. Joe comments that he'd be a little more worried about it if it were Augusta National. It wasn't. And Amorak probably pulled the putt anyway. I can't speak for the rest of y'all, but, god, I was young and dumb.
* I drove Ellen's car all the way to Birmingham so I could caravan down with you guys, and so I could see Scott the night before we left. On my drive up, a tire bounded across the median on the highway in Montgomery and scared the hell out of me before sideswiping the car and leaving a horrible, un-removable black skid down the driver's side. That did not go over well when I arrived home.
* You guys had an insanely crowded ride home, I believe. A precursor to the ride to the Atlanta airport from Jekyll Island.
* Playing Ultimate on the beach. (Exhausting.)
* Playing basketball on a sandy, bumpy, gravely court. Wooden backboard?
* Lots of small, dead fish on the beach. Some kind of fish virus in the water or something.
* Speaking of HNV, when Dan was the net one time, he got carried away and instead of rejecting the ball back to Christopher and Mark, he did an over-the-head backward spike to the sand at the feet of a protesting Joe and Amorak. The ruling was the point stands for M&C -- whim of the net, or something like that.
* Our ride home was actually particularly uncrowded. We had actually taken three cars, so we were 2 and 2 going home. I believe part of the decision to take Joe's car was that we would likely not have room in my dad's loaner car (something fairly small like an Escort or somesuch) to get us all home, especially with two sets of golf clubs, 4 Guys, and other luggage.
Of course, taking Joe's car neccessitated an insanely long detour to have the oil changed. But it did make having the walkie-talkies more fun, since we had three separate sources of goofiness over the airwaves. Yes, we were young and playful, but I would like to think that now, 12 years older and "more mature", we would still be just as silly using those things.
Post a Comment