Tuesday, March 11, 2008

GW8: The Fab Four - Cleveland



Ah, Cleveland...this was a fun trip. Our "fewest attended" with only four Guys, hence the name, but we were undeterred in our tradition of playing lots of Poker.







We had our smallest accommodations, staying in a Residence Inn downtown--I believe I used Marriott points to pay for it, and I must not have had enough for a 2-bedroom suite (or they may not have had them?). I recall we were shown an even smaller option, sort of a studio, with the bed in the main room. This one had a living room with a kitchen and a separate bedroom with a king bed. I believe we had one of us on the couch, one on the sofa sleeper, and two in the king.





Activities included a nice "opening night" dinner at a steakhouse (the name escapes me, but I have been there a second time on a work trip); a trip to Cedar Point for a day of rollercoaster ridin'; a visit to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame; but, in a rare departure from our other "city" GWs: no baseball game. I believe the Indians were out of town.





A great trip, as usual, though we missed Joe R, Scott, and Dan. Mr. Rogers missed due to his second kiddo coming along within a year of the first, and it seems like Scott missed because of baseball for John? This was the second miss in a row for Dan, but he would go above-and-beyond, driving-wise to make the next one in Gatlinburg.



Other thoughts/memories?










9 comments:

Amorak said...

Of note: Mark and Amorak had to buy Christopher's steak dinner because of a Yahoo! fantasy golf challenge.

And when Mark asked for ketchup, Joe said something along the lines of, "That had better be for your fries, because if you put ketchup on a $40 piece of meat, I'm coming across this table."

Amorak said...

Note: The cost of the steak is approximate. Also, it's possible Mark was the steak winner; I just know it wasn't me.

Mark said...

Yeah, Christopher got the free meal.

Joe has always had a problem with my love of ketchup. I'm sure a bit of the red stuff found its way onto a bite or two of that steak. Sue me. Funny line, though.

Joe said...

We almost went to a see U2 tribute band. Don't know why we didn't. Now I have a sense of regret.

Stopped for root beer floats (walking home after the steaks?), and they were really good. Made with an in-house formula root beer. Somehow, a cartoon lizard factors in here.

The Dow-Jones dropped some 400-something points the day we were at Cedar Point, which we followed 'coz my pager got push updates.

This may have been when Mark expounded upon how he learned to eat (and -- I think he at least implied -- to enjoy) a rare steak. This was a story I greatly relished, as indeed I've always taken an overly personal interest in his relationship with charbroiled slabs of beef.

Mark said...

I have no recollection of either of the first 2 parts of your last comment (U2 Tribute band & rootbeer floats), which is why doing this blog is a good thing. We can get this stuff down now before we forget any more of it!

Medium-rare is how I prefer my steak now--the influence of the Andeel clan. Used to order it medium-well. I'll still eat steak nearly any way it's cooked, but enjoy it most when it has a fully red, warm center. Glad you enjoyed the story--it's one of my favorite Andeel family stories.

Amorak said...

Try this: winkinglizard.com

Here's how I remember it: We actually had dinner there (burgers and such), and several of us opted for the handcrafted root beer.

We had root beer floats from a kiosk at Cedar Point. Not so much with the handcrafted, there.

Joe said...

* I played pool in a glass-walled playroom late at night alone. One break hopped the table and smashed in to the glass. Eep!

* I was moved by John and Yoko's silly, unabashed love.

* Canton was just a tad too far away

* Mark was very, very apologetic to the housekeeping crew about some something or other

* Giant guitars everywhere

Mark said...

* We also all played pool at least once--Late the last night, I believe we took a break from Poker to order a late-night pizza, and we killed time waiting for it down there.

* No idea what the housekeeping incident was. I'm sure I was being paranoid since it was my Points being used.

* I remember the British Open was being played on a TV in the free breakfast area. We ate there before heading out to CP.

* I have pix of giant guitars and other stuff from this Weekend. Will post them later in hopes it will stir more memories.

Amorak said...

* There was a large group of people congregating in the parking lot across the street from our hotel window -- and we watched them get rousted by police one night, for no apparent reason.

* Part of me really thought the phone for which Yoko is the only one with the number would ring while we were there.